Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Pacific Coast Shark News 2009

San Onofre — On January 30, 2009 Keith Lee was stand-up paddling his board about one mile South of the power plant at San Onofre. It was between 1:30 and 2 PM. He had been on the water about 30 minutes. The sky was clear with an estimated temperature of 75 degrees Fahrenheit. The water was 8 – 15 feet deep with limited visibility and an estimated temperature of 58 degrees Fahrenheit. There was a slight texture to the water's surface with a WNW 5 knot wind. Lee reported; “I was stand up paddling just 20 feet outside the surf zone. The shark did a drive by to check me out. It never surfaced. It was 8 feet long dark gray or brown in color. I had a top view of the shark from my position. It was traveling in the same direction as me on my right side. I was paddling on my left as it neared the surface. It never broke the water surface. After a moment it submerged and was gone.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.
Report encounters here
http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw the same shark at the same location while stand up paddling in July. I did some investigation online and it turns out that it was a salmon shark and not a great white. I remember the shark had a shorter snout than a great white and a rounder belly. Check out this picture of a Salmon shark and see how easy it is to confuse a great white with a salmon shark.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lamna_ditropis.jpg

Anonymous said...

Thought provoking. Very true. dresses with sleeves!?! Christian Louboutin Boots